Wednesday, April 2, 2014

John Frieda Sheer Blonde – Go Blonder Lightening spray vs. Balea Professional – More Blond Spray

I’ve tried these products some time ago but I still wanted to write about them since the concept is really interesting. Price of “original” John Frieda spray was 5,95 € for 100 ml while the DM store own brand Balea spray 2,95 € for 150 ml. I bought them in Germany, so the price and availability may vary by country in which you live.

Application:  spray hair you’d like to highlight. Then use the heating tool to activate the liquid (e.g.  hair dryer, curling iron or flat iron).

Scent: the smell of both of them is not very nice but it doesn’t bother me to the point that I wouldn’t use them. Balea spray’s perfume reminds me of nuts but if you keep it for long time the smell will turn into Peroxide smell that is so typical for hospitals.

Texture: both products are liquids but if you shake John Frieda spray you’ll get some kind of foam or “denser” liquid than Balea spray has which I feel like you don’t need to use as much as in case of Balea to get the same effect.

John Frieda Sheer Blonde – Go Blonder Lightening spray (left), Balea Professional – More Blond Spray (right)

Hair color after 2-3 applications: if you expect to get very light cool color after using these products you’d be disappointed. They change the color of your hair but it is a warm medium blond (if your natural color is brown) and for this reason they are not suitable for all blonds. I personally tend to have cool tone color in my hair and the products didn’t work for me. When I was trying them I ended up having 3 colors in my hair: my cool tone brown on my roots, warm medium blond for 2 cm and then rest of the hair light cool tone color. Not the best view, this rainbowL.

So, unless you desire warm medium to light blond these products won’t work for you. It’s a pity because the idea is great and it works for some people, unfortunately not for me. Also, I can imagine that if you have brown hair and you’d like to have some warm blond highlights that could be a cheap option (let me know if you try it and if it looks good).

Ingredients: both products have the active ingredient Hydrogen Peroxide, apart from that they have another 5 ingredients in common. Here is the list of ingredients, common ones in bold:

JOHN FRIEDA: WATER, HYDROGEN PEROXIDE, POLYSORBATE 20, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, PHOSPHORIC ACID, VP/VA COPOLYMER, FRAGRANCE, POLYQUATERNIUM-47, POLYQUATERNIUM-55, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, EXT. VIOLET 2, VITIS VINIFERA, (GRAPE) JUICE EXTRACT, ALCOHOL, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (MATRICARIA), FLOWER EXTRACT, CITRUS MEDICA LIMONUM (LEMON) PEEL EXTRACT, GLYCERIN, HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED EXTRACT, VITIS VINIFERA (GRAPE) SEED EXTRACT TOCOPHEROL, PEG-40 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL

BALEA: WATER, HYDROGEN PEROXIDE, PANTHENOL, CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, PHYTANTRIOL, VP/VA COPOLYMER, COCOGLUCOSIDE, PARFUM, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA FLOWER EXTRACT, GLYCERIN, CITRUS LIMON PEEL EXTRACT, SALICYLIC ACID, LAURTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, DISODIUM EDTA, LIMONENE, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE

My final verdict: If I wanted warm medium blond the products would be great to cover up the roots between hairdresser visits. If I had to pick one of them I would go for Balea as it gives the same effect for less money.