Saturday, December 20, 2014

Rimmel London eye make-up products

It happens often that drugstore brands offer some great and some not so great products in every make-up category. But to find out that most of eye products don’t work for me at all was quite surprising, especially when it’s well-known and well-loved drugstore brand such as Rimmel London. Personally, I love Rimmel face and lip products but when it comes to products for eyes it is a different story.

SCANDALEYES WATERPROOF GEL EYELINER

Price: 5,99€ (in Slovakia).

Colour: it looks like very black eyeliner but it doesn’t have strong colour intensity. You can see it on first eye look picture in my PUPA Vamp! Eyeshadow post. I took the picture in the morning, right after I did my make-up. As you can see, it is not as pigmented as some other drugstore eyeliners (Maybelline and Essence gel eyeliner are way darker).

Texture and application: is has creamy consistency that is quite dry. It means that when you are trying to draw a line in one single swipe it won’t happen. The colour stops after some millimetres and you have to dip a brush in the gel again and repeat it few times before drawing a full line. Of course it doesn’t look good.

Longevity: it lasts all day but due to its colour intensity it looks like faded straight from the morning.

My verdict: it was so dry and not so pigmented that I decided not to use it after few tests. It is either really that bad or I bought really old product. The brush is nothing I would use; it’s all going to the trash.

Scandaleyes waterproof gel eyeliner by Rimmel London

Scandaleyes waterproof gel eyeliner by Rimmel London

Brush from Scandaleyes waterproof gel eyeliner kit by Rimmel London

SCANDALEYES THICK & THIN EYELINER

Price: 5,99€ (in Slovakia).

Applicator: it has cut felt tip applicator which is supposed to give you the option of thick and thin line. However it was difficult to draw the line since I had to pay attention to how I held the pen, I had to make sure that I didn’t turn the pen different way by accident. If that happened (and that was often) it would not only change the thickness of the line but it would also scratch my eye and hurt like crazy. I tried to use it several times but it hurt so much every time that I was about to give up…

Longevity: well, it held well all day so that was ok. On the other hand I used it only 4 times when the pen completely dried out.

My verdict: again either it is very bad product (am I that clumsy and hurting myself with it?) or the pen was very bad (drying after few uses?).

Scandaleyes thick & thin eyeliner by Rimmel

Scandaleyes thick & think eyeliner by Rimmel

GLAM’EYES QUAD EYESHADOW

Price: 6,49€ (in Slovakia).

Pigmentation: can you see any on the picture? Because I had to really make effort to get some pigment on my fingers to be able to swatch it. In the pan the eyeshadows look great but they don’t have any pigmentation. Nothing shows on the eyelids unless you pile it on like crazy.

Texture: the eyeshadows don’t feel dry or powdery.

Longevity: well, I could not test it as I could not get it on my eyes.

My verdict: uff, getting more and more pissed off just by writing about it. Obviously as you can see on the picture, the product is just very, very, bad.

Glam'eyes quad eyeshadow

Glam'eyes quad eyeshadow

HONOURABLE MENTION:

Scandaleyes waterproof kohl kajal in colour 005 Nude (3,59€): it is supposed to be used mainly in the lower water line to brighten up the eyes. However the colour is darker than my skin tone (NW20 in MAC)!!! Let me know if you tried these kohl kajal pencils since I’m not buying Rimmel eyes products ever again.

Scandaleyes waterproof kohl kajal pencil by Rimmel

Scandaleyes waterproof kohl kajal peincil in colour 005 Nude by Rimmel
Scandaleyes shadow stick (4,99€): they are great under the powder eyeshadows to add some intensity to them (maybe Rimmel created these to use them together with Glam’eyes quad eyeshadows?) and they work well this way. If you want to wear them alone, use a very good primer underneath otherwise they crease.

Scandaleyes shadow stick by Rimmel

Scandaleyes shadow stick in colour Bulletproof Beige by Rimmel

FINAL VERDICT:

As I mentioned in the introduction I love Rimmel face and lips products but these products for eyes were just horrendous. I haven’t tried Rimmel mascaras so far but I’m hesitant to do so after this experience. I think I’ll never buy any Rimmel eye product again.