Friday, September 18, 2015

Urbaniced lip cream by Essence

When I saw this lip cream on the shelves I immediately thought of Lip tarts by OCC. While these are expensive they are very nice liquid lipsticks. I was very curious to see how these new lip creams by Essence perform and if they are really comparable to OCC.

Price: 2,75€ for lip cream by Essence in German DM drugstore. Lip tarts by OCC cost 18$ in US Sephora (currently on sale for 9$).

Lip tart by OCC (left) and Lip cream by Essence (right)

Scent: lip cream by Essence has nice cocoa scent while the scent of lip tart by OCC reminds me of a paint aroma.

Colours: I’ve seen 2 colours of Essence lip creams, I bought 01 Go for a stroll (bright matt pink). Lip tarts by OCC are sold in several finishes, mine is in matt and this finish is sold in 41 shades.


Pigmentation: I got disappointed very much here. While you need a tiny bit of lip tart by OCC (half a size of brush head that comes with it) you need at least 3 times more of Essence lip cream to get colour everywhere on the lips.

Texture and application: lip cream by Essence has thicker creamy consistency while the lip tart by OCC is liquid. While the texture of Essence lip cream reminds me of dimethicone and is quite smooth on the lips, it forms patches and I had hard time to achieve uniform colour. The OCC tarts while being liquid apply smoothly and evenly on the lips and form one uniform light layer of colour.

Lip tart in colour Hush by OCC (left) and Lip cream in colour 01 Go for stroll by Essence (right)

Longevity: lip tarts by OCC last for 4-5 hours on me, if I don’t eat. Lip cream by Essence stays the same time but it sticks to all dry patches on the lips, soaks into the lines and it doesn’t look good already after half an hour after the application.

Final verdict: apart from the packaging there’s nothing common between the lip cream by Essence and lip tart by OCC. In fact, the lip cream by Essence is so bad that it is going to trash.